Wow! I have MORE marketing secrets of Second Life! You can get this notecard for your very own, without having to pay metaversale developers millions of lifeless dollars!
Just follow my advice and YOU, TOO, CAN BE A SUCCESS IN SECOND LIFE!!!!
I'm going to give it to you just exactly as it is inworld, where in a busy rentals business it has to double also as a rule card that keeps the girls from putting up all that spinning blingy stuff.
HOW TO MAKE SEARCH ADS FOR RAVENGLASS AND RELATED LAND GROUPS
1. Before you rent, please read the notecard. Don't make work for yourself or us by not understanding the limits. When you press on the box, it automatically gives you a notecard with the rules. That's your lease. Make sure you are happy with the terms for LOW-IMPACT SHOPS which we enforce:
o in newbie areas, residential areas, and other mixed-use areas: no hippiepays, even for claims of 'personal use,' no money-scam objects
o no spinning signs or spinning anything like no spinning tip jars, diving dolphins, etc.
o no laggy scripts like "hi I'm online" or "greetings, avatar!"
o textures 512 m2 or less, more than 512 loads the sim 16 x slower, don't do it
o use "brightness on textures" not "light on objects".
o no security orbs, weapons, or griefing
o no casinos, camp-chairs, dance-pads, lucky chairs, shouting objects, or any cheap traffic gimmicks -- this is not the place for it
o all vendors must be indoors, no yardsale effects -- we have separate areas for yardsales on a schedule, ask Prokofy Neva
o no holovendors or rezzers, they confuse the prim count and create the perception of lag and distraction even if they may not lag per se
o no building smack on the property line or more than 2 storeys without approval from mgt if you are on a parcel, and no building out into decks or plazas if you are in a mall.
o no particles spewing and no strobe lights
In other words, don't create the usual tacky newbie shop because we will not subsidize it -- and it something that will drive all the other tenants away : ) If you have to keep asking, but what about this, but what about that, this rental is not for you. It is for good-looking, low-impact stores only.
2. You can get your ad in SEARCH as follows:
A. Take a picture of your store or yourself or your product or make a texture with your logo and OPEN UP ALL PERMISSIONS ON IT. That means each and ever permission, "next owner can copy/mod," etc must be open. It has to be to go from inventory to the parcel menu via "texture picker".
If you are concerned about your logo's copyright, then develop a logo for this purpose you *can* copy -- you will need it in Second Life because land rentals work this way everywhere. PUT EVERYTHING ON COPY ON THE TEXTURE/PICTURE.
B. Write a sentence with key words for description. You have little room, so don't waste words on things like repeating your name or store name (it will be on the ad itself elsewhere) and don't say things like "more coming soon" because it's wasted words. DO NOT send long lists of keywords to us. There is no where to put them. There is ONLY the short line on the ad space itself in the ground. Look at any typical ad for anything in SEARCH to get an idea. And adjust accordingly. We cannot give you a character count because people use caps, commas, etc. differently -- eyeball a typical ad and make a sentence or so, not a paragraph.
C. Make a name for your store, too. Make it unique so it stands out. A name like "Dove Decor by Jane Doe" including the name in your name description is useful to build recognition, and it will all fit on the SEARCH ad in the title.
D. Put on a notecard and send to Prokofy Neva
E. Make a notecard over on your upper right by pressing INVENTORY first on the bottom and using the menu to select NOTECARD and SAVE when you are done, then use SEARCH at the bottom of the screen to pull up PEOPLE and find PROKOFY NEVA and then drag the card on to the place on the profile for transfer of inventory
F. Pictures can be dragged into notecards from inventory by first opening the notecard, then dragging picture on to card.
Note: You have to be aware of the following:
a. SEARCH is $30 a week, including in most (but not all) store rentals for parcels (not on stalls). This is DIFFERENT than Classifieds, which is $50, which is separate, and which you can make and *pay for* yourself by right-clicking on your profile and going to classifieds on your profile and following instructions
b. SEARCH is not a magic keyword searcher that you can send us 50 key words to plug in. Search can search only from what is able to FIT ON the line in SEARCH. Go and see how other stores' ads look to understand this, i.e. look under Ravenglass Rentals Office in SEARCH PLACES. So you have only a sentence, and you can either put all the key words in a big string or make a sentence. We find people browsing like to see coherent sentences not a big run-on keyword. But it's up to you.
c. SEARCH has increasingly been turned off lately and now sometimes works sporadically. Unless the Lindens give US a refund YOU do not get one. So plan accordingly: SEARCH is a risk. SEARCH is often only working on the first word and not other words. And SEARCH is now not updating for 24 hours, even when we make your changes. Be patient. Wait 24 hours before complaining you don't find you ad in SEARCH.
3. Traffic does not make sales; sales make sales. Sales come from good networking and compelling content. And sales and traffic are sometimes related; sometimes not. Most people shop through SEARCH and CLASSIFIEDS and flying around is secondary.
1. When you get your booth, stand on your lot and pull down "world" and "create landmark" to get a landmark that will serve as your business calling card. Rewrite it with your own name easily -- it is a means of having customers vector in directly on your booth from the telehub. To rewrite, right click on it in INVENTORY and re-do then save.
2. Stand in your booth and right-click on your profile and go to the PICKS tab to get your store automatically to fill in as a "picks". Rewrite the description if you like.
3. Make sure to give a notecard with landmark, photo, and description to Prokofy Neva to put your store in SEARCH PLACES and distribute on lists of recommended stores.
4. Have events on the boardwalk and plazas in all sims, just ask about the schedule.
5. Come to our yard sales and fairs in other sims and distribute your landmarks and have a vendor available. Currently open in Aztecha Sky Temple
6. When your store is set up, make sure to p ut an announcement in SHOPPING at www.secondlife.com in the forums.
7. Ask to get an additional $25 or $50 booth in our malls or boardwalks in Ross, Refugio, Wakeley, Cub, and Brownlee.
8. Spend the $50 on the classifieds -- many sales come from it.
9. Get your mall owner on other rentals to put you in SEARCH for $30 or put SEARCH on your own land -- MOST sales come from SEARCH